Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Body Shame: Body Image in a Cultural Context


I found this amazing article at Dove. It's good food for thought. Eat up!

" The perfect North American fashion model is 5'8" and weighs 115 lbs; the average North American woman is 5'3" and weighs 144 lbs. The perfect model weighs 23 percent less than the average woman. The message given to women by the fashion, diet and media industries is that we are never good enough. We must constantly deprive ourselves and continually fight the natural size of our bodies. This is achieved through the promotion of a beauty ideal that is impossible to achieve for a majority of women." (Dove.com)

My lovely roommate is currently interning at Girls Inc. The other day I offered to go with her to volunteer for the Halloween celebrations the organization was having. I walked in and the first thing I saw was a poster on the wall. It was a young girl, around the age of 6. She was standing on the pitcher's mound on a softball field. The picture was a moment frozen in time. She was throwing the ball with her baseball cap tilted, her shirt dirty, and her uniform worn proudly. The caption read, "Tell me to throw every inch of my four-foot frame into everything I do"
If you click the link you can see a picture of the poster. This was the best I could find, but I wanted to show you anyway I could.

WHAT A POWERFUL IMAGE! I stood there, thinking about how wonderful this message was for these young girls to see. The hallways were plastered with amazing posters like these. So props to Girls Inc. Good work.


We ask justice, we ask equality, we ask that all the civil and political rights that belong to citizens of the United States, be guaranteed to us and our daughters forever."
—Susan B. Anthony, Declaration of Rights for Women, July 1876

No comments: