Monday, October 29, 2007

Barely Moving


This evening I had an experience I wanted to share with you readers. A few weeks ago I read an article that said women who tend to read magazine articles, especially fitness and fashion magazines, have increased rates of body dismorphia as well as increased rates of eating disorders. I have always thought this. It makes sense right? The more one sees unrealistic images of women, the more one feels they must look that same way.

So there I was, at the gym doing some cardio. I looked over my right shoulder and saw the thinnest girl I have seen in a long time. She looked liked the little engine that could as she pushed herself on the elliptical machine. Her rib cage stuck out as if she were a skeleton. Her hair was dull and lacked color. Her thighs were trying so hard to push the pedals further. Clearly, she was struggling. She was pushing herself past the point of health and onto boarder-line death. I can not explain to you how much my heart hurt for her. Any without fail, there she was flipping through a fashion magazine as she exercised herself to death. I could see every vein in her arms. She had no muscle; she could not lift weights even if she wanted to. This young girl worked off the nutrients she so very much needed. All I could think about was the magazine she was holding. I wanted to yell out, STOP! Those women, in that ad are not real. They actually do have cellulite and stomach roles when they sit down. You will never be like them because they do not exist in real life...real life...the one you will lose if you continue to hurt yourself like this! 

In Europe, cigarette boxes come with warnings on them that get the message across that the product will kill you. Magazines should do the same if they insist on publishing underweight models.

I stumbled across an interesting blog this evening. blog.FABRICA

Check this out. The latest post gives praise to acclaimed photographer, Lauren Greenfield's work on eating disorders. The film is called THIN.

Click it, check it out! Greenfield's work is amazing. I encourage you to read up on her. Make sure you check out Girl Culture as well. The way she sees the life of young women, through her own lens, is outstanding. Her work is breathtaking and powerful.

"I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self."
-Aristotle

No comments: